Thursday 19 September 2013

In Utero: 20 Years To Nirvana's Album


Sometimes I feel that time goes by too fast.... This week I listened to Nirvana's song Heart Shaped Box from their last studio album, In Utero and then I realised that it has been 20 years since it was released. I don't know if we can count on more than one hand, the number of bands that made such an impact on the music scene in the past 20 years. I don't think that In Utero is the best album made by Nirvana, but it is the most depressing of them. Retrospectively, I can imagine that Kurt Cobain sings his own feelings of depression and disappointment in this record. Rape Me, for example, which was considered provocative that time wasn't about rape in the physical meaning as many of the listeners thought then. It was about the feeling of Kurt Cobain of being over exposed to critics and telecommunications without any chance to escape this everlasting gaze of the camera. Pennyroyal Tea is about replacing drugs with other kind of drugs in order to escape reality and Heart Shaped Box is about the hate-love relationship with Courtney Love, like All Apologies. 20 years after, Dave Grohl still hitting the road and sometimes we can also see Krist Novoselic revive his Bass guitar but Kurt Cobain left behind in the 90's, leaving us this unforgettable album. Here are five songs I can't get out of my head

Heart Shaped Box
PennyRoyal Tea
Dumb
Rape Me
All Apologies

No comments:

Post a Comment