Friday 24 May 2013

Life Is A Rollercoaster: 20 Years To Red House Painters' "Red House Painters"

When you look at the roller coaster's photograph on the cover of the sophomore album of Red House Painters, you can't even imagine how beautiful yet painful is this record. Roller coasters always seems to be one of the scary attractions in parks but Red House Painters sung about "The one only sissies ride..." (Roller coaster). I think that's one of the things that made them pretty under-rated, the sharp look on the things that we try to forget. This four piece band from San Francisco consisted of Mark Kozelek (Which formed few other acts later such as Sun Kil Moon), Anthony Koutsos (drums), Jerry Vessel (bass) and Gordon Mack (Guitar) and split about a decade ago. This album is their best, with one of the most beautiful breakup songs I've ever heard, Katy Song, which goes like this: "Can't go with my heart when I can't feel what's in it I thought you'd come over, but for some reason you didn't, glass on the pavement under my shoe, without you is all my life amounts to".One of my all time favourites, five songs of it will show you why, even though that's been 20 years since its release on 24 of May, 1993.

Album Rating: 9/10

Katy Song
Mistress
Dragonflies
Brown Eyes
Grace Cathedral Park

No comments:

Post a Comment